Protolabs Q&A: Direct Metal Laser Sintering
Your masterclass in product design and development
Our Insight podcast series is aimed to help you design better parts for digital manufacturing.
We will regularly share with you podcasts packed with useful tips that will hopefully save you some time and money, from Q&A sessions to design tips.
In this episode we answer your questions on DMLS with Tasos Pantelis, an Application Engineer at Protolabs and our 3D Champion for Europe. See below for a list of questions answered in this session:
- Could you give us a top level definition of DMLS and what it stands for?
- What kind of finish can I expect on a metal 3D printed part?
- Why would I use metal over plastic in 3D prinitng? What are the benefits?
- What kind of metal materials do you offer?
- Are there any post processes available for 3D printing?
- How do you select the right material?
- Can you see any future trends in metal 3D printing?
- Are there any immediate challenges I need to consider?
- Can the metal dust become flammable? If so, how can this be prevented?
- How strong are the metal 3D printed parts?